1/5/09

I can't believe I'm married to a Fridolf!!!!!

It turns out my husband's name in Swedish (or the corresponding one anyway) is tatatataaaaa (trumpet): Fridolf! ha ha ha ha :D I'm, once again, peeing my pants. His name in Finnish is Visa, which is so much cooler (Visa is a kind of Birch tree that grows in Lapland), although it's a magnet for bad jokes like: Is your brother's name Master? Can I pay with Visa? (his father used to say that and push his son towards the cashier...ha ha You're the one who named the kid, dude.)

In Hong Kong before Christmas there were big signs that said: " Let Visa pay for your Holiday shopping" For me that was very appropriate, since my salary as a coach/teacher wasn't much to "hang in the Christmas tree" as we say in Swedish.

Speaking of names...How can people name their kids things like: Yrjö (means vomit in Finnish and it's a Finnish name), George Bush btw, in Finnish translates into Yrjö Puska = i.e. Vomit Bush, Paukku is a Finnish last name and it means fart. I mean...That's just mean! Recon your kid would be Yrjö Paukku = Vomit Fart (sounds like a name Bart Simpson would use a alias doing his pranks). That's a death warrent. In these days of globalisation, I would think twice giving my child a name...I mean...at least I would translate it into English or even Swedish, which is Finland's second language. Jukka is a common Finnish name that in Swedish unfortunately means: "humping". My Finnish teacher's name was Sirkka-Liisa and in Sweden cirka means approximately. Therefore clever people would ask her to tell her name a little more exactly. Very funy, I know. But these days, school is dead serious. You have to have the right clothes and the right parents etc, which is enfuriating, but that the way it is. Having the wrong name, could mark you for life.

3 comments:

  1. I can tell you that Visa means "Buenas Pelotas" in Spanish....
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was me David I don´t know. Something happend with the Christine account.....
    The ladybug

    ReplyDelete