4/15/09

Positive thinking vs. Pragmatism

Dirty Harry said: A man's got to know his limitations.

I disagree. Thinking about your limitations will only take you half way. Believing you can do anything will take you higher than you ever imagined possible. Being naively positive pays off sometimes.

When I was an elite runner my coach always had us run 10 metres extra. So whenever the finish line was at the actual finish line, he put our finish line 10 metres away. He knew that once you see the finish line, you automatically start to deccelerate. This way, he made us think the finish line was 10 metres later, so we would give 100% all the way. Not just 95% of the way.

My mother has always made me feel I can do anything. I'm grateful for that. Visa laughs at me sometimes, because I think I can do anything. Like sing, ha ha. Well maybe I can't, call me stupid or a massochist (or sadist, I hope my singing isn't THAT bad, though), but I still think I would make it to the second round on the Finnish version of Idol.

The first and best victory is to conquer self. Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment