5/1/09

Walpurgis night

Ha ha this cracked me up: Did you know that Vappu=Valborgs is Walpurgis night in english? He he Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night That is tonight. Vappu in Finland beats Valborg in Sweden by a landslide though! In Finland it is a carneval with partying for two days straight. In Sweden you burn a bonfire and sing. Oh crazy partypeople, those Swedes.

Walpurgis, Finnish style

I think Vappu just became my favorite holiday, just because of its name Walpurgis. I can't stop saying it. Walpurgis-schmurgis.

Can you imagine my surprise my first year in Helsinki, when I decided to take a walk in the park I lived by in downtown Helsinki and realised that ALL OF HELSINKI had had the same idea as me? What the... The park was PACKED, as you can see in the picture above. It was scary until I was told that is the thing you do. May 1st everybody goes to Kaivopuisto. Oh. Mioli felt stupid and a bit paranoid. Now I embrace it. And feel sorry for the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment