3/26/09

What defines you as a person?

Since I've been, willingly, I might add, trapped in the so called "woman trap" (kvinnofällan) for a year...i.e. I've been following my husband wherever his job took him for the past year. That took us from Helsinki to Stockholm and Hong Kong, which was fantastic but also meant I had to put my career on hold. I got some great jobs in both Sthlm and HK, but they were only for short whiles and didn't add anything to my pension (oh yeah, I'm that old...I start thinking about my pension).

I'm not the kind of woman who wants to be at home doing nothing. I can't do it. I don't do it. So I started thinking (uh oh hopefully nothing will break in there) about what defines us as persons? I'd say being back here in Stockholm, once again looking for a job, has made me realize how much your job defines you as a person. I'd say the second question after the often not so sincere "how are you and what's your name", would be WHAT DO YOU DO?

Does what we do define us as persons? Or does who we are define what we do?

1 comment:

  1. I think the issue here is that when you are not working, and you are looking for a job, you are defined by what you do: look for a job. Therefore you feel a bit lost.

    Think about the time you were travelling in SEA. Did you feel the same? You were also not working, but you were doing something else.

    ReplyDelete